Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Old NPS loading and firing video

Union soldier at Support Arms

Do you remember the old video from the NPS at Gettysburg that showed infantry loading and firing and cannon loading and firing? The first time I went there it was in the old Cyclorama Center before they had the Visitor Center. Eventually the video players moved into the Visiotr Center. After they opened the brand NEW Visitor Center the films have disappeared... or so I thought. I was searching on Youtube and found them! Someone posted them. Oh the memories. Cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK5GcG_QHJ0&feature=related

Don


Here is a shot of the old Visitor Center in the middle of the demolition. This shot was from the Gettysburg Daily, posted on their website on April 1, 2009. You can visit their website and see a whole bunch of great photos and videos. I have the link on the right.




4 comments:

  1. My last trip to Gettysburg was in 1996 when my unit here at Ft Lewis WA jumped in to the area near Buford's positions of the first day (across the street from a small airfield) and then did a battlefield walk for three days, my best trip to Gettysburg ever. I remember drooling over the firearms displays in the old visitor center. My last trip to the east coast was to my parent's house in Culpepper, VA. I went to a symposium on the Battle of Cedar Mountain on its 150th anniversary on 9 AUG 12 with my dad. It was a great presentation. Living on the west coast, I don't get to satisfy my ACW Jones much...
    R. S. Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey my old unit, Company C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, made that video for NPS. The officer was a hired actor (who was pretty usless). I thought the video was lost forever when the changed over to newer versions. I'm the sergant in the front row, the middle of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - I'm the corporal in the front row. Man that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,

    Hey that's cool. Where was it shot and how did they pick your unit?

    Don

    ReplyDelete